Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Sloppy Super Joes

My usual sloppy joe sauce is basically ketchup, Dijon mustard and brown sugar-delicious but I thought I could healthify it a bit. Last night I had an "a-ha" moment...DATE PUREE!  It has the caramel flavor I crave from brown sugar but it is much healthier.

The addition of greens adds so much nutrition but doesn't change the flavor, win-win!


1 tsp olive, coconut or avocado oil
1 small onion-chopped
1 lb ground meat (I used grass-fed beef but ground turkey or veggie burger is fine too)
1 cup frozen kale or spinach-thawed and chopped
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
4 Tbs tomato paste
1/4-1/2 cup date puree
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

In a deep skillet heat 1 tsp oil and then saute onion at med-high about 10 minutes.  
Add the ground meat and continue to saute,stirring often until cooked through.
Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer for at least 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

Add more date puree if you like your Joes sweeter.  I love to add chipotle pepper for a smoky flavor and chopped pickles for extra tang and crunch...chopped mushrooms are also a deliciously healthy addition without changing the flavor or texture. 



No comments: