Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My favorite mashed potatoes (AKA Colcannon)

I love me some potatoes and I WANT to love my greens more.
Little did I know combining the two would be heaven in a bowl! 

First things first...
Boil 2-3 large, rough cubed russet potatoes as you would for mashed potatoes
Steam about a pound of cauliflower.

Now for the fun...
Heat a large saucepan or smallish stock pot on med to med-high and then add:
3Tbs butter
2 slices bacon sliced into small strips (about 1/4")
Stirring often

When bacon starts to brown reduce heat to med and add:
3 cups chopped/sliced kale
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Stirring often

When kale has softened (15-20 minutes), add:
3 green onions chopped with the green tops
Again stirring often

After the onion cooks 1-2 minutes, add the drained potatoes and cauliflower.

Add 1/4 cup milk, salt & pepper to taste and mash to desired chunkiness. 
Serve with butter and fresh parsley.

Bacon can be omitted for vegetarians and non-dairy buttery spread and milk for vegans.