Thursday, January 31, 2013

How have you BEAN?

My most recent project is a perfect example of being cheap AND healthy.  I am no longer buying canned beans.  EVER (that's the goal anyway).
Canned beans are full of salt and most cans leach BPA into the food.  And now for the GOOD news, dried beans are WAY cheaper than canned, sodium free and chemical free, less gas inducing if you soak them AND they last longer on your pantry shelf.  Why in the world would I ever buy a canned bean again?!  Sure soaking and cooking takes a bit of time buy just make a big batch and freeze some of them in ziplock bags.  No more excuses.
 
Here are the ones I have
 
Kidney beans: Used pretty much only for chili.
Pinto beans: Mash them for refried beans.
Lentils: Add these to sloppy joe meat, soup, chili, spaghetti sauce and even brownies to boost protein and fiber. 
Chickpeas (Garbanzo beans): Hummus baby!  Oh and roast the cooked beans for a crunchy treat. 
White beans: Baked beans and pureed to add creaminess to dips. 
Black beans: Add a little garlic, cumin and hot sauce for a great Mexican side dish.
Mixed soup beans: Do I need to explain this?
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

so do you freeze them, before, or after you cook them?? i soaked some overnight, and realized i couldn't possibly do something with all of them. should i cook them first, or freeze soaked?? help me, momma!! ;-)

Unknown said...

I ALWAYS underestimate how much they will "grow" after soaking so always have too much too! Soak, cook, freeze. I also freeze cooked rice and it works great. AND GINGER! I love fresh ginger but it always goes bad on me, I peel it, wrap it in plastic and freeze it and it tastes just like fresh.

Unknown said...

I don't have to worry after all!! I decided to cook them in my rice cooker....then I walked away, and now they're not looking so pretty. Lol. Good thing I had my spare batch. Hehehehehehehe!!

Unknown said...

I just boil them for a while, I always forget about them so I probably cook them too long but they always seem good!